Huskies outlast Axemen to take a 3-2 Shootout win

Flaman & Hoyt score for Acadia

The Saint Mary’s Huskies downed the Acadia Axemen 3-2 in a shootout on Saturday night at the Dauphinee Centre.  

It didn’t take long for the action to start as the Huskies had their first good chance just 1:30 into the game. Andrew Coxhead (Bedford, NS) had quick shot from just outside the crease that was stopped by Axemen goaltender Zachary Paputsakis (Rockland, ON). 

Just minutes later Saint Mary’s was pressuring again when the puck rolled around the boards to defenceman Connor Olson (London, ON). He fired a shot through traffic to open the scoring just 5:06 into the period with his first career AUS goal. 

Acadia was awarded a powerplay late in the frame as David Berube (Price, QC) got called for interference. The Axemen worked the puck around the zone nicely looking to tie the game but couldn’t get shots on net. Cameron Pound (White Lake, ON) and Keith Getson (Bridgewater, NS) each blocked a shot to make things easy on their goalie Jeremy Helvig (Kingston, ON). 

Shots were 11-6 in favour of the Huskies, as they led 1-0 into the intermission. 

The visiting Axemen got out to a quick start in the second frame as Liam Kidney (Enfield, NS) drove puck to the net but was stopped by Helvig. The second chance opportunity from in close by Brendan Sellan (Hanover, ON) was also stopped.  

Just seconds later it was Luke Zazula (Langley, BC) that launched a shot from the blue line that saw the puck ring off the crossbar. Later in the same shift it was Nick Deakin-Poot (Georgetown, ON) that was denied from the slot.  

Despite not being able to capitalize through half the game, Acadia pressed on, and their patience would be rewarded. Corson Hopwo (Duncan, BC) made a nice move to enter the offensive zone and get a shot off. Helvig made the initial save but the rebound was slid home by Jack Flaman (Vibank, SK).  

On the next shift the Axemen took a penalty and SMU made no mistake on the powerplay to retake the lead just 44 seconds after Acadia tied the game. It was another rebound goal from in close scored by Coxhead after the initial shot by Justin MacPherson (East Gwillimbury, ON) was stopped. 

Acadia led in shots 27-25 after 40 minutes of play but it was SMU with the 2-1 lead. 

A SMU penalty at the end of the second period gave Acadia an early powerplay. It only took 61 seconds into the final period before the Axemen tied the game on a shot by Peyton Hoyt (Lincoln, NB) from the left circle. 

The middle of the frame saw the Axemen with back-to-back powerplays. Acadia was able to score on the second advantage, but the goal was immediately waved off due to the net being off its pegs.  

Shots were 31-27 after regulation and with no one scoring during five minutes of 3-on-3 overtime the teams headed to a shootout.  

Jeremy Helvig shut the door on both Acadia shooters, while Bradey Johnson (Lindsay, ON) and Charlie Dafonseca (Thornhil, ON) scored on their attempts to give Saint Mary’s the 3-2 shootout victory. 

The win improves the Huskies record to 8-6-0 on the season. They’ll be back in action next Friday, Nov. 25, as they welcome the Moncton Aigles Bleus to the Dauphinee Centre. 

The Axemen loss drops their record to 3-8-1-1 on the season. Their next game also comes Friday, when they host the #1 ranked UNB REDS in Wolfville. 


Recap by Troy Langstaff / SMU Huskies Athletics
Photos by Mona Ghiz / SMU Huskies Athletics