UNB stays alive with win over Axemen in Wolfville

Third and deciding game goes Friday night in Fredericton

WOLFVILLE N.S. – The University of New Brunswick Reds forced a game three to decide the AUS Championship with a 6-0 win over the Acadia Axemen, backstopped by a solid performance from Samuel Harvey in goal.

Cristiano Digiacinto noted that the bounces didn’t go their way in tonight’s game.

“I felt we came out and did what we had to do, had a couple of unlucky bounces that didn’t go our way and we really kept it going. The second period was completely ours. I felt we were in their end the whole time. It’s just unfortunate the bounces didn’t go our way.”

The Reds were first to get the lead in a must-win game for them. Samuel Dove-McFalls capitalized on his chance after a strong net drive from Stephen Anderson resulted in the open net opportunity for Dove-McFalls. The goal was also assisted by Patrick Watling and came just shy of four minutes into the opening period.

UNB struck again with 7:32 remaining in the first. Forward Mark Rassell doubled the Reds’ lead after the Axemen goaltender had trouble controlling the rebound of Matt Boucher’s shot, and Rassell slid the loose puck underneath Flodell from the edge of the crease. The goal came just a second after concluding a powerplay and was also assisted by Matt Murphy.

The Reds led 2-0 after the first period of play.

After some serious pressure from the Axemen in which no success was found, it was UNB again who found the net just 7:12 into the second frame. Patrick Watling grabbed a goal to go with his assist after burying a good chance in front of the outstretched Logan Flodell. Both Matt Murphy and Stephen Anderson added their second assists of the night on the goal.

The Reds were not done there. Tyler Boland added a fourth to UNB’s commanding lead after a two-on-one rush ended with Boland tapping in the rebound of teammate Kris Bennett’s slapshot. The goal came 13:15 into the period and was also assisted by Olivier Leblanc.

With 9:44 remaining in the third, UNB’s Matt Murphy gave the Reds a 5-0 lead. Murphy beat Flodell on the powerplay with a perfect shot over the high glove from the top of the circles. The goal was assisted by Joe Gatenby and Stephen Anderson.

The Reds would add a sixth and final goal of the night. Alexandre Goulet fired home a one-timer off of a nice cross-ice pass from Oliver Cooper to capitalize on an extra-man opportunity. The goal came with just over a minute remaining.

6-0 UNB was the final.

The Reds were two for five on the powerplay, while the Axemen couldn’t find the back of the net on seven opportunities.

Reds goaltender Samuel Harvey made 36 saves and was named the Subway Player of the Game, while Acadia’s Logan Flodell had 26 of his own.

The teams head back to UNB to decide who will be crowned AUS Champions on Friday night at 7:00 p.m., with a high seed at Nationals being an additional bonus to lifting the trophy.

Provided by Griffin Herrington, Acadia Athletics Communications
Photos provided by Peter Oleskevich